GN-Rank is our unique Rank for News Domains and Sources in Google News based on the specified time period. It is based on a formula that takes in consideration the following
- Total Number of appearances (How many times the News Source was found in our feed runs)
- Number of appearances in Google News Homepage
- Number of appearances in Google News Sections (health, entertainment, sports, etc)
- Position of each story
- Number of "unique" stories found
- Position of each story has different scored based on location in Google News Homepage or Sections
- Number of times the news source found in fact Check Block
- Number of times the news source found with Featured Label (in-depth, opinion, hjighly cited, etc)
- Number of times the news source found in the Sub-Headlines below Main story in each cluster
- Number of times the news source found in the Spotlight block
- Number of times the news source found in the Most Popular block
There is a different weight for each of these elements based on our estimates of CTR (click through rate) of each of content blocks on Google News. The weight is also different based on what section stories were found in; stories found in the Google News Homepage (Top Stories) are weighted different than stories found in other sections.
Please note the GN-Rank and Scores are mainly based on the stories we find and not all stories in Google News.